“Health risk behaviors are unhealthy behaviors you can change. Four of these health risk behaviors—lack of exercise or physical activity, poor nutrition, tobacco use, and drinking too much alcohol—cause much of the illness, suffering, and early death related to chronic diseases and conditions.” —Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
As a natural complement to the practice of Family Medicine, Lifestyle Medicine is about optimizing and maintaining health. Some people, when facing a medical condition, are content to treat with medicine. This is an acceptable choice and, in some cases, the best choice. Some, however, would like to go the extra step, working to avoid the medical condition altogether or to minimize the standard medical treatment they require.
Are you at risk?
- Alabama Obesity is 36.3%- That is MORE than one in 3 adults
US adult population data from the CDC:
- 9.4% are diabetic
- 33.9% are prediabetic
- 1 in 3 have high blood pressure (hypertension)
- 1 in 3 are prehypertensive
- For 95 million, total cholesterol levels are greater than 200mg/dl
- Stroke–5th leading cause of death
- 735,000 yearly heart attacks
There is hope!
- 80% of heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and
- 40% of cancers
Could be prevented WITHOUT the use of weight loss supplements, shots, calorie/carb/fat/protein counting or strenuous exercise by focusing on developing healthy habits in the following areas:
- Stress Management
We can help prevent, reverse, or stabilize your chronic condition with our:
Designed to help you:
- Lose weight without strenuous exercise
- Reduce pain and increase flexibility
- Maximize your physical endurance
- Decrease the medications you need
- Lower your risks of future disease and disability
- Or, something else entirely
The program is available as one-on-one sessions with Dr. McCleskey or affordable group classes.
The individualized sessions provide:
- A detailed look at your health history
- Individualized treatment plan
- Shop-with-a-Doc where Dr. McCleskey or her nurse guides group members through the pitfalls of advertising gimmicks at the local grocery store to reinforce healthy shopping habits
- Referrals to ancillary specialties such as physical therapy, sleep studies, or nutrition science may be made
- Ever wonder what your doctor does to improve her own fitness? Consider joining her for a short-term exploration (4-6 classes) of different avenues to move more
- NOW AVAILIBLE: Advanced Lipid lab testing
As for other options, three classroom style programs are available where you will learn how you can take control and improve your health by swapping unhealthy habits for life enhancing ones.
Other participants from the same household may take Nuts and Bolts or Everything but the Kitchen Sink for $95 per person. Early Bird specials are available.
You can view our upcoming classes and events on our Events page Here